[OSGeo-Conf] Analysing the downfall of FOSS4G 2011

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 16 15:20:51 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at flaxen.com> wrote:
> BitnerD wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, I would really like to see clarification on the role of the Conference Committee with respect to support of events other than the main FOSS4G event. I have to say that it was not clear at all (nor is to this day) what role I should expect the Conference Committee to play in support or review of the activities that we are working on for the NA event in 2013.
>
> Me too. My understanding is that the Conf Comm was only for the international event -- is that true?
>
> If not, would it make sense to expand the chart of the Conf Comm to help out or advise [in some as yet undefined way] with regional confs and such as well?

Folks,

My belief is that the conference committee should play a role
in any conference that the formal OSGeo organization is
responsible for.  If we assume responsibility for FOSS4G NA
then it would be included.

I'd also love to see the committee play some role in connecting
other open source geospatial events but that would be more
in the vein of providing advice, and coordination rather than
deeper responsibility.

(All IMHO of course)

Best regards,