[OSGeo-Conf] Analysing the downfall of FOSS4G 2011

David William Bitner bitner at dbspatial.com
Fri Aug 17 13:26:40 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Matthew Syphus <MSyphus at lhtac.org> wrote:

> Cameron,
>
> I am a simple community member at large who enjoyed the Denver
> conference.  I like your perspective regarding more volunteers as a
> result of helping smaller events.  My thought is: can you add some sort
> of volunteer requirement as a condition of having OSGeo help with an
> event?

You can never categorically count on volunteer effort in the future.
"volunteer requirement" is an oxymoron. I don't say this to be flippant,
but as someone who has worked for many years with volunteer communities.
Volunteers in any group come and go, I have often seen some of the most
dedicated volunteers in a group simply drop off the face of the planet
because they got burnt out, had personal issues, or even just that they got
bored or found something else they thought was more worth their time. We
should certainly do everything we can to encourage those with experience to
hang around and to share their experience forward, but it is simply not
practical to establish this as a hard expectation.