[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G North America 2013

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Tue Aug 21 14:07:22 PDT 2012

Cameron,

My thoughts are similar to Frank's. I certainly appreciate the due
diligence you are doing and it is good to know the worst case. But we need
to consider the likely case too, and I have spent a significant amount of
time talking to both NA and Nottingham teams and am very comfortable that
both events will be very successful in terms of serving the community and
will very likely both return some profit to OSGeo that we can use to
support other events in future and for other OSGeo activities.

Looking from another perspective, the FOSS4G North America conference has
already been widely publicized (see
http://foss4g-na.org/save-the-date-foss4g-north-america-2013/, widely
reposted elsewhere). If we choose not to provide this support then the team
will have to cancel the event, which I think will be seen to reflect very
negatively on OSGeo. Canceling one major planned event (Beijing) is bad
enough, canceling two within the space of a few months would really damage
our credibility.

You can argue various points about whether it should have been "announced"
before getting everything agreed, but we are where we are and I think no
matter how you spin it, many people would see it as another significant
setback for OSGeo if we didn't go ahead.

So please, let's just push on and approve this motion, and give both events
all the support we can from the board and the broader community. They will
both be very successful events like other FOSS4Gs before them.

Cheers,
    Peter.