[Foss4g2012] [Board] RE: [OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Beijing - a regional event

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Sat May 26 04:32:52 PDT 2012

Hi,

As a community we need to demonstrate that we can "invent" ways to make
this an important event! We can, better than anyone else, find ways to
communicate and work together towards the FOSS4G 2012 preparation.

We need to demonstrate that we can reach remote places, beyond any
cultural and communication issues. Why Google failed in China? Probably
for the same reason we are failing. We are using the same spreadsheets
used in Sydney, Barcelona, Denver to run the FOSS4G in China. We also
trying to use the same invited speakers, the same committees and so on.
And we are also expecting the same results! How to compare a successful
conference in NA with a successful conference in Beiijng? Number of
foreigners giving talks?

I'm completely against the motion. WE ARE FAILING and WE ARE NOT
FUNCTIONING as a global community.

Please reverse the motion's effort towards the conferencing. We can do
much better than this.

If people ask about the conference, we should say: we need help! Please
come on and help us!

Regards,

Jorge