[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] Putting the focus back in

Shin, Sanghee endofcap at gmail.com
Tue May 29 03:25:25 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I would like to express my thoughts on how to make FOSS4G 2012 successful internationally and how to help FOSS4G 2012 LOC.

1. At least 10 renowned persons like Arnulf Christl, Paul Ramsey, Frank Wamerdam, Markus Netler, Jeff McKenna or other projects, community leaders(let's say OSGeo leaders) need to make presence there in Beijing during FOSS4G 2012. They need to make presentations, lead workshops and even keynote speech as well. When I recall my experiences in previous FOSS4G conference with my OSGeo Korean chapter members, my Korean members usually attended FOSS4G conference because to see, hear from or talk with those OSGeo leaders directly. So, OSGeo leaders presence would be very crucial to the success of FOSS4G 2012. This situation will not different from other country's.

Hey guys!! I know many of OSGeo leaders already earmarked budget & schedule for FOSS4G 2012. So, please submit your applications on presentations and workshops through to FOSS4G 2012 website. I'll also apply too. OSGeo leaders presence will make FOSS4G 2012 successful *INTERNATIONAL* conference.

2. Based on the previous FOSS4G event attendee statistics, around 70% attendees are from host country, neighboring countries or the same continent. So we need to encourage local chapters around China or in Asia to attend FOSS4G 2012. We have OSGeo Korea, Japan, Philippines, Malaysia(now forming), India, Thai, Indonesia and Vietnam chapter in Asia. So we need to leverage this chapters to make successful FOSS4G 2012.

Since Bejing is very close city from Korea, many Korean members already showed much interest in attending there. Korean chapter is now promoting FOSS4G 2012 actively around geospatial society, universities, labs and government. I hope our active promotion and close distance to Beijing lead to more attendees than previous.

And I believe Japan chapter - the strongest and largest chapter in Asia -  will also bring many attendees to Beijing, since I discussed this possibilities with Japan chapter members last year.

OSGeo Asian chapter members can also discuss the formation of FOSS4G Asia in Beijing. I slightly discussed the possibility of formation of OSGeo Asia or FOSS4G Asia with Venka when I visited Japan last year.

3. In my opinion, unlike our hell-like discussions on FOSS4G 2012 progress, most of potential attendees are not aware of what's going on in Beijing. If my memory doesn't fail me, around 2/3 attendees of Denver conference are new comers. So we don't need to think about progress of FOSS4G 2012 too negatively. We have still time to make up for and revert FOSS4G 2012 to successful international conference.

We can do above things without communication with FOSS4G LOC.

Let's help LOC and ourself by doing our own jobs!!

regards,

Sanghee

2012. 5. 27., 오전 3:05, Seven (aka Arnulf) 작성: