[OSGeo-Conf] conference web site/ software

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 01:54:19 PDT 2012

Andrew/Cameron

Unfortunately I cannot make the call on Thursday evening, I have copied Jo, Jeremy and Peter in case one of them is able to participate.

I am not sure what contribution the UK team can make in this discussion. We have committed to working with AGI who we know well and who have a dedicated local events team and have specific knowledge of the venue, additionally 3 of the LOC (Jeremy, Suchith and Mark) based at the University where we are holding the event. These may be unique circumstances and future events might benefit from a "central team" provided by OSGeo or Eclipse. However events in new cities bring new venues, contractors and challenges which may need local knowledge.

_____________________

Steven

On 15 Sep 2012, at 14:34, Andrew Ross wrote:

> I expect that FOSS4G events would not gain much by handing over complete control to Eclipse. It would be desirable to continue to make use of our OSGeo volunteers who have been doing a great job running conferences to date, however it would be good to provide a level of backup from an Eclipse staff.
>
> Can you think of specific items that are important in this regard?
>
> For example, negotiating venue contracts, A/V contracts, catering, printing, decorating, etc. etc. I'm guessing the organizing committee would want to be aware and have input but frankly leave much of the execution work here to staff.
> Andrew,
> Yes, that is a reasonable assumption. Most foss4g international events have hired a local Professional Conference Organisor who handled these details.
> There would be an option for Eclipse to take on a portion of the PCO tasks, probably in conjunction with a local volunteer or PCO.
>
> I suggest you float the concept with Eclipse, and get in principle support for the idea, then we can draft up a more detailed proposal with contributions from both Eclipse and the OSGeo Conference committee.
>
> Cameron,

> Andrew,
I suggest the following timeslot [1] for a meeting to start building a recommendation for LocationTech engagement in future FOSS4G events.

I'm hopeful that we can see a representative in this meeting from upcoming foss4g events, especially foss4g-nottingham and foss4g-na. David Bitner William and Steven Feldman, will you or someone who can speak for your LOC be able to make this timeslot?

If anyone who wishes to attend, and can't make this time, please suggest a different day (or time?)

[1] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2012&month=9&day=20&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=75&p3=179&p4=286&p5=136&p6=215&p7=240

San Francisco (U.S.A. - California)    Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 1:00:00 PM    PDT    UTC-7 hours
Denver (U.S.A. - Colorado)    Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 2:00:00 PM    MDT    UTC-6 hours
New York (U.S.A. - New York)    Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 4:00:00 PM    EDT    UTC-4 hours
Halifax (Canada - Nova Scotia)    Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 5:00:00 PM    ADT    UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England)    Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 9:00:00 PM    BST    UTC+1 hour
Rome (Italy)    Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 10:00:00 PM    CEST  UTC+2 hours
Sydney (Australia - New South Wales)    Friday, 21 September 2012 at 6:00:00 AM    EST    UTC+10 hours