[OSGeo-Conf] Planning FOSS4G 2015/16

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Aug 7 21:59:22 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Darrell Fuhriman <darrell at garnix.org> wrote:

> One thing that's come up as we've been working on this is that one year
out is a pretty short time to do bookings of a conference this size. For
instance, the Oregon Convention Center, where we'll be holding 2014, is
already booking 3-4 years out for large conferences. As it was, we didn't
have a lot of flexibility for the dates either at the Convention Center, or
the hotels. It worked out this time, but we can't take that for granted in
the future.

> If FOSS4G is going to continue to grow in attendance, I think the board
should consider moving the bidding process dates up, so there's as much as
two years out.

> I'd suggest starting the bidding process for 2015 in the next six months,
and for 2016 six months after that, thus deciding on the host city two
years out. But even 18 months would be wiser than 12.

Why wait 6-12 months?  Another call for Letters Of Intent could go out,
perhaps from Nottingham?

Sao Paulo is ready to bid,
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2014/2014_LOI_SaoPaulo.pdf

Determining several years in advance can also give future cities an
opportunity to join LOCs as an observer or minor remote participant to gain
more experience or at least observation before it is their turn.  I'm
hoping to join the Nottingham LOC, especially the portion that will publish
the proceedings since I will likely be involved in that for 2014.

Eli