[OSGeo-Conf] Organizational and fiduciary questions for FOSS4G 2014

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Tue Aug 13 10:45:13 PDT 2013

Since we need to be signing contracts and will also need to be spending money soon to get the conference going, we need to answer a few big questions:

1) With the current mess with the IRS as described on the Board list, should we be planning to use another entity to handle fiscal sponsorship, as described by Steve Swazee. (http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2013-July/002285.html)

If we use a fiscal sponsor, then

2) how quickly can we get seed funds transferred to said entity, and how much money can we transfer?

If we keep the conference under the OSGeo organizational umbrella, then:

3) Who can sign contracts?
3a) Is it possible and desirable to delegate that authority to the LOC.
4) How do we spend money?

Not to put too much pressure, but we need to answer these questions ASAP, as the time to sign hotel and convention center contracts is rapidly approaching.

We're already initiating talks with organizations about doing fiscal sponsorship, but it would be nice to know how aggressively we should be pursuing that option.

Darrell