[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] Getting the organization for 2014 settled

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Tue Aug 27 11:19:48 PDT 2013

Just a few observations based on experiences organising the 2013 event,
since 2012 is a really bad example for anyone to use IMHO. Firstly, since
we're based in the UK rather than the States, I can't possibly imagine how
it would work using a US-based conference organising company- I'm certain
that would drive up costs. On a slightly paranoid note, I think using a
US-based conference organiser would tie the event more strongly to the US
and make it much harder for anyone else to get a look in. Secondly, the LOC
doesn't really have just 12 months to organise dates and such- we certainly
asked for dates at our venue to be tentatively held during the bidding
process with the understanding that if we didn't win, they would be
released. When we got the happy news that we'd won, we simply had to
confirm we wanted to secure the dates.

Having said that, I do think a lot of elements in the division of
responsibility between OSGeo and the LOC could and should be spelt out
better in the Requirements document, to avoid nasty surprises down the
line, and, as you say, reinventing the wheel when it's not necessary.

Jo

> The intention was to hire someone as a contractor, not as a company (paid
> via 1099 in US-speak). Hence no company to sign contracts.
>
> If OSGeo is going to require a third-party to be used to sign contracts
> then that should be spelled out in the requirements. At best, hiring a PCO
> was strongly suggested, but with no suggestion of what that arrangement
> should/must look like.
>
> Better than that would be that OSGeo has on ongoing contract with a
> company to handle these arrangements. If we're going to do the conference
> every year, then having consistency is much better than re-inventing the
> wheel each time. It's probably cheaper, too.
>

> Darrell

***Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 7930 524 155
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform<http://www.isharemaps.com/>

864201149.