[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2014 Bid Q&A Period

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 13:53:24 PDT 2013

On 3/07/2013 10:37 AM, Andrew Ross wrote:
>> - What happens with the net profit or loss beyond the OSGeo
>> contribution?
>
> The Eclipse Foundation is prepared to cover the loss. OSGeo would not
> be expected to do so.
>
> Should the event be more successful than the budget predicts, there
> will be some balancing of re-investing to enhance priority areas as
> determined by the committee.
>
> Should there be modest profit beyond that, the Foundation humbly
> requests it.
>
> For what it's worth, I don't think they'll mind me sharing that we did
> ask advice from Daniel Morissette & Peter Batty about the best way to
> approach this. The advice was to keep it simple & clear which I hope
> we've accomplished.

Speaking as an OSGeo Board member, I'm seriously concerned that proposed
profit from our global FOSS4G is not being retained by OSGeo. OSGeo runs
on a shoestring budget, and the FOSS4G conference is OSGeo's primary
income source. Passing this income source across to the Eclipse
foundation is likely to have a substantial impact on OSGeo's viability
(Eg: we would have to reduce sponsoring code sprints and the like).

I request that sharing of the budget be re-considered. I consider it an
issue at show-stopper status.

More details about board priorities here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2013-02-26#Board_Priorities