[OSGeo-Conf] Support for Washington DC venue

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Fri Jul 5 07:42:47 PDT 2013

I'd like to list a few of the reasons that I'm in support of the Washington DC venue.

From my perspective at RadiantBlue Technologies, the location will allow us to bring in a wide range of government decision makers and expose them to the phenomenal projects that are available through foss4g.  Our company focuses on integrating and supporting open technologies within government programs to the US federal government.  With reductions in budget and sequestration in the US, there is a window of opportunity to shift the balance of software solutions towards open technologies and open source.  The Washington venue will allow me to make a compelling case to my upper management for Platinum sponsorship.

WRT to streaming video, sponsorship of students, and any number of good ideas - establishing a good financial model will give us more flexibility to support those types of things.  I have been advocating for more focus on raising sponsorship and revenues for OSGeo for some time.

Mark