[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2014 Budget Sharing

Eddie Pickle epickle at opengeo.org
Fri Jul 5 09:19:51 PDT 2013

Dear Cameron,

This may be a misunderstanding. What we are proposing for proceeds going to
OSGeo is, so far as we can determine, the same mechanism used for past
events including Denver. Our intent in our proposal is to offer OSGeo the
very highest proceeds possible, and to minimize any downside.

Our proposal holds registration, workshop, and sponsorship prices pretty
much the same as from Denver even though it will be 3 years previous by
2014. In our budget, we have included increasing contributions to OSGeo as
the conference is more successful. You’ll note at the 900 attendee mark,
the payment to OSGeo is $50K. For 1,000 attendees, we anticipate a payment
of approximately $75K.

We already have Platinum sponsorship commitments from two organizations
(OpenGeo and Radiant Blue) with a demonstrated track record of FOSS4G
sponsorship. Plus, we believe the accessibility of our Washington, DC
location for international, regional and local attendees will maximize
attendance and outreach opportunities.

Our proposal insulates OSGeo from financial risk from a loss. At the same
time it offers a return to OSGeo comparable to past events. This is no
small thing in today's economic uncertainty.

This proposal is backed by a professional team who organize events like
FOSS4G for a living. For an event as important as FOSS4G, we believe such a
team dramatically decreases risk.

As evident from our many letters of support, FOSS4G 2014 in Washington D.C.
will attract diverse participants, sponsors, and speakers. That should lead
to the kind of high quality program that will be, of course, the main
assurance of solid financial success.

Let me know if I can provide any further clarification.

Sincerely,

Eddie

J. Edward Pickle
Chief Executive Officer