[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2014 Budget Sharing

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 14:27:05 PDT 2013

Thank you Steven,
This is valuable information about FOSS4G 2013, which helps frame
expectations for FOSS4G 2014, and also a FOSS4G Cookbook.

While our FOSS4G proposal guideline stipulates an expectation that $30K
should be made under conservative estimates, we have not explained
expectations if a greater profit is obtained.

I think we have reached a stage where US and EU global FOSS4G
conferences are likely to earn $100K or more under likely scenarios (if
estimating $30K for conservative scenarios).
I believe the expectation should be that OSGeo should retain ~ $100K
(probably calculated as a percentage of profit). Giving back to
delegates (in value, rather than a refund) is a valuable option.
Re-investing in the LOC is worth considering, but I'm wary as to how to
word that into Cookbook guidelines.

Note: My comments here are relating to future FOSS4G events. I'm not
suggesting retrospectively applying guidelines upon previous events.