[OSGeo-Conf] Tax Implications of FOSS4G - Again

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Mon Jul 15 10:09:18 PDT 2013

On Jul 14, 2013, at 15:16, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Washington / Portland proposals,
> If you were to be selected, would you be prepared to support Steve in his investigations and help gain tax exempt status for the FOSS4G event, determine if it is possible, and then put it into place if it is economical to do so?

Of course, we're happy to work with Steve or other entities to minimize the potential tax bill, should OSGeo not have non-profit status by the time of the 2014 FOSS4G.

However, I will say that doing things in this manner is completely backwards from the way it should be done. OSGeo should figure this out and then require/subject the LOC to the terms in the bid. If OSGeo wants to work with different non-profits each year and pay a consultant to figure it out, then it should be a bid requirement for all future years.  It is crazy to make each year's LOC figure this out on their own.

Alternatively, should OSGeo's non-profit status be denied, then an attempt should be made to quickly form a conference-specific non-profit to handle the finances of FOSS4G 2014 and all future conferences.

Darrell