[OSGeo-Conf] Conference software

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 10:38:10 PDT 2013

On 09/23/2013 11:13 PM, Dave Patton wrote:
> On 2013/09/23 13:36, Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the german-speaking OSGeo local chapter D-A-CH announced that it
>> plans to bid for hosting the FOSS4G 2016. Anyway, after years of
>> running the annual FOSSGIS conference (about 400 delegates/year), we
>> are unhappy with our software solution assisting our orga-team. Right
>> now we are using a combination of pentabarf [1] (for managing paper
>> ssubmission, review and planing of the program) and CiviCRM [2] on
>> Drupal (for registration, billing and payment). This does not fit our
>> needs and produces too much additional work to be done to fullfill
>> our requirements. We found out that the german linux day, Linuxtag
>> [3], is facing the similar problems. Our recent plans are, to enhance
>> Frab [4] to fit our needs during the next years. May be it is also
>> interesting for organising FOSS4G conferences and anybody wants to
>> participate. Any commends welcome.
>>
>> Best regards - and thank you all for the great elapsed conference in
>> Nottingham
>>
>> Marco FOSSGIS e.V. / OSGeo lc D-A-CH
>>
>> [1] http://pentabarf.org [2] http://civicrm.org/ [3]
>> http://www.linuxtag.org [4] http://frab.github.io/frab
>
> Have your local chapter considered the Public Knowledge Project [5]
> Open Conference Systems software (OCS)? [6]
>
> There is an OSGeo wiki page that proposes OCS be used for the
> annual FOSS4G conferences [7] and it was used for FOSS4G2008. [8][9]
> There is an (now outdated) OCS instance hosted by OSGeo. [10]

I've tried OCS for the FOSS4G 209 (as it was kind of obvious to use the
same every year). But it sucked to much that I wasn't really wanting to
go with it. Instead I've built a custom one based on Django that would
handle the abstract submission and voting process [11]. It sadly got
never picked up by another FOSS4G conference.

> [5] http://pkp.sfu.ca/
> [6] http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/
> [7] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OCS_Use
> [8] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2008_Site_Upgrade