[OSGeo-Conf] [OSGeo-Discuss] 2015 North American conference

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Fri Apr 4 17:44:23 PDT 2014

Alex,

Thanks so much for taking the time to consider this idea & provide your
thoughts.

Yeah, I agree with you about the common interest & this was the basis of
reaching out.

I do think developing areas at Eclipse such as the IoT working group
focusing on sensors, actuators, and gateways share significant interest.
The new Science working group too.

While some folks probably don't care enough to go to a conference just
for the tools/development stuff, if it's available for them to pick what
they like to attend for no added cost, that might  be seen as pretty handy.

And I think the inverse is important... expose mainstream IT to
geospatial as much as possible. This is a nice way to do a bit of that.

Stating the obvious: It is a tremendous amount of work to organize a
conference. One event saves effort and cost. More importantly, it helps
avoid having to make tough choices between multiple events.

You made great points in your other email about moving around for
outreach. I agree. Also, for what it's worth, a tour to a bunch of
cities like LocationTech did last November helps reach a lot of people.
There's another one being planned for this year and people are invited
to get involved if they'd like.

Thanks again! I'd love to hear what others think too. I anticipate there
will be some really important things that need to be just right for this
to make sense so glad to talk about them.

Andrew