[OSGeo-Conf] Several old FOSS4G sites no longer online?

Dave Patton dave at patton.org
Fri Apr 25 21:50:33 PDT 2014

On 2014/04/24 11:57, Peter Batty wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was looking for the Denver FOSS4G web site online at
> 2011.foss4g.org, and it no longer appears to be there, together with
> some of the other archived sites. 2007 and 2009 show up, but not
> 2008, 2010 or 2011.
>
> I think these are really useful resources for various purposes. I
> don't know if they were taken down intentionally or accidentally, but
> I think it would be good if they could be restored (I believe all the
> missing ones were hosted on OSGeo servers).
>
> Any thoughts on how to get them back?

Out of curiosity, I checked the Internet Archive
(i.e. the "WayBack Machine") for 2011.foss4g.org
and it has various snapshots, starting on
October 12, 2010:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/2011.foss4g.org

I don't know the completeness of each snapshot,
but here's September 24, 2011:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110924031953/http://2011.foss4g.org/

Perhaps OSGeo can leverage their snapshots, rather
than having to spend time making static copies
of past (possibly dynamic) FOSS4G websites?

Here's stating pages for 2008, 2010, and 2011:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/2008.foss4g.org
https://web.archive.org/web/*/2010.foss4g.org
https://web.archive.org/web/*/2011.foss4g.org

--