[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Discount for Charter Members proposal

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 12:41:32 PDT 2014

I'm open to the idea of providing benefits to osgeo charter members, but
suggest having an early bird discount apply to all ticket categories.
I'd suggest something like a 5% discount for charter member tickets instead.

Note: conferences organisors need to decide whether they will also give
such a discount to professional bodies as well (such as professional
institute of surveyors). Such organisations often aggressively request a
discount for their members in return for publicising foss4g to their
membership.

There is a very important reason conferences have a early bird discount.
It means that conference organisors get an early indication of the
number of attendees coming to the conference. This helps significantly
with regards to making financial decisions about the conference. In
particular, it enables organisors to decide to cancel the conference
before having to lock into key financial commitments and potentially
sending OSGeo bankrupt. This was very important for us in FOSS4G 2009,
the year of the global financial crisis, when registrations were much
lower than expected. At the early bird deadline, we were aware that we
had enough people attending that we would loose less money by going
ahead than if we cancelled, so we went ahead. Without that confidence,
we likely would have decided to cancel the conference. (In the end more
people did register, and we were just able to make a modest profit.)

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,