[OSGeo-Conf] question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Mar 20 18:33:59 PDT 2014

I think cost of travel is much more than just the flight: it's also
accommodation.
Previous conferences in Denver or also Nottingham had (recommended) hotels
right at the venue, which were quite expensive and easily topped the cost
for the flight.

Because I live in Japan attending FOSS4G conferences is usually expensive
for me ;-)
But because some currencies are strong and some are weak, travel costs for
Europeans for example to Korea might be still less a problem than travel
costs for someone from Philippines to Korea.

Jeju Island really seems to be a famous and popular holiday location. My
wife always wanted to go there for vacation.
But it may be cheap to get there from Seoul, Tokyo and some other capital
cities, but for example from Osaka there is no low cost carrier and not
that many connections. Instead, to Seoul it's really easy to travel with
several low cost airlines. It's actually cheaper than flying to Tokyo.
I would expect that what is the case for Osaka is also the case for many
other cities in Asia.

Just a few thoughts,
Daniel

--