[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G Discount for Charter Members proposal [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Fri Sep 5 17:11:02 PDT 2014

> I've read a number of arguments that pre-suppose that only Europe and North America can run successful FOSS4G Conferences.

I don’t think anyone said anything remotely like that. The only question was whether it makes sense for a PCO in one world region to be organizing things in other world regions. FWIW, the woman we have been working with, just in the year we’ve been working together, has organized events in Indonesia, Berlin, and Barcelona (that I know of).

> As to a single Professional Conference Organiser (PCO) for all FOSS4G:
>
> - this is counter productive. From my experiences with FOSS4G-2009, we needed a local PCO who knew what buttons to push to get 'things' done quickly and efficiently, often at short notice. I can't see a foreign PCO being able to do that effectively.
>
> - to any reputable PCO, FOSS4G is just another conference. This is their bread and butter work. They should be able to do it effectively.

These statements seem to be in contradiction with each other.

Darrell