[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2017 - Questions for LoI cities

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Aug 14 08:44:08 PDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 4:11 AM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:
> A question for all 3 cities:
>
> I am worried about the cost for a delegate to attend including hotels, food, workshops and conference fee. We know from past experiences that this can be an issue for people who are not sponsored by large organisations. We want to make FOSS4G accessible to as many people as possible and a few bursaries aren’t sufficient.
>
> Can you provide some estimates of all in cost for a delegate on a budget.
>
> OSGeo Board needs to give a clear steer on ‘surplus objectives’ to the bidding teams before they finalise their budgets in the next round
>
> To Ottawa:
>
> I agree with Jeff re co-chairs, for 2013 we had a single chair and 2 very strong vice-chairs who took on large portfolios of responsibility.

One way to approach this is to have a chair and chain of succession.
You can use the chain of succession even if the chair is just
unavailable for a week.  In the 2014 proposal we wrote, "Based on
lessons learned from past FOSS4Gs, we have established the following
chain of succession if Darrell steps down as chair (all of these are
local chapter members): David Percy, Tanya Haddad, Eli Adam."
Regardless of how you internally operate the LOC, one name and face
for the chair is probably beneficial to everyone else interacting with
the LOC.

Eli