[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] Financial limit on advances and guarantees to FOSS4Gs

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Aug 24 15:39:17 PDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:21 PM, Massimiliano Cannata
<massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I want to share my personal view  just to make discussion starting.
>
> I see two very different cases.
>
> 1) organizers decide to make a foss4g conference to earn money. Remember not
> only making profits but also get paid for organizing...
>
> 2) organizars decide to make a foss4g conference for other reasons as
> vilunteers.

I see a possible third option:

3) Organizers decide to make a foss4g conference for other reasons as
volunteers but after returning the seed money and some considerable
amount like $100,000 the LOC and Local Chapter gets some small sum
like $10,000 for funding future local OSGeo activities.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G#Overview_of_past_conferences_and_attendances

> - conference fee
> - osgeo seed money amount
> - conference costs
> - conference revenue
> - organizer revenue
> - osgeo revenue

These additional aspects may be collected from other sources and would
indeed help. They may be scattered over the wiki and other places.
Conference fee can probably be dug up from old websites or attendees
inboxes and receipts.  There are probably some individuals who may be
able to better guess than others (current or past Treasurers might
know seed money amount, and OSGeo revenue).

Also helpful might be a pie chart of all OSGeo revenue over the years.

Best regards, Eli