[OSGeo-Conf] [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G events - email privacy

Michael Terner mgt at appgeo.com
Wed Dec 30 11:46:22 PST 2015

I just wanted to note that being "second in line", the Boston team has been
watching this thread with great interest. The interest is partly in
watching the discussion and decision making of our FOSS4G partner in
action; but the bigger interest is in that we feel these tools - mailing
lists; outbound email tools; CRM - are vitally important and will be a key
ingredient of our mutual success in 2017. Some quick observations from the
perspective of someone who will be actively involved in putting on a future
event:

   1. We fully respect and support the importance of personal privacy and
   email list transparency
   2. As someone who attends a large number of conferences - both open
   source and otherwise - I fully expect that I will be placed on the mailing
   list for the next conference once I register. This shouldn't be a surprise
   to people. And in most cases I want to be on that list.
   3. We fully support what seems to be the prevailing, two part opinion of
   this thread: 1) *Clear notification* that someone will be placed onto
   the list in the first place when they fill out the initial form;
and, 2) *Clear
   and easy opt out* be present on any outbound messaging to that list.
   This seems entirely reasonable while acknowledging how important these
   lists are to future conference teams (like Raleigh, for FOSS4GNA 2016).
   4. As a commercial company, we implement a cloud-based CRM package for
   our company called Zoho CRM <https://www.zoho.com/>. We are quite happy
   with Zoho (and there are many other good choices out there), but the road
   to success is not necessarily straight forward. From this perspective I'd
   observe that every CRM comment made on this thread *is accurate.* Here's
   my personal take:
      - CRM's are very valuable and their capabilities go far beyond what
      you can do with a "list manager" and email platform like Mail Chimp
      - That said, something like Mail Chimp *can *be used in a manner that
      is similar to a basic CRM. Indeed, Zoho has a module (called "Campaigns")
      that provides Mail Chimp functionality
      - Taking full advantage of a CRM requires proper planning, setup and
      management. And most customers, including ourselves, use only a tiny
      fraction of the full functionality.
      - CRM software can be friendly to the "end user" but there is
      backroom setup and management that requires special skills. Even with
      fulltime technical people, we have sought consulting to help get
Zoho setup
      properly for certain activities.
      - Ultimately, someone at OSGeo would need to "own" and manage the
      CRM. This could be challenging in an organization without a
fulltime staff
      presence. It would be somewhat analogous to someone trying to do
something
      that's very important and advanced with geospatial analysis on a
part-time,
      volunteer basis, with potential months long gaps between using the tools.
      The alternative would be to outsource management of the CRM.
      - That said, if OSGeo wanted to proceed with CRM, Boston 2017 would
      be a willing collaborator and user and could lend some of our
experience to
      the mix
      - In short, it would be great to have an operational CRM to support
      an event like FOSS4G. But, it is non-trivial to get a good CRM up and
      operational, and managed for the long term.

Thanks to all for this very useful thread and for the future help we know
you will provide us over the coming months...

Happy new year!

MT

*Michael Terner*
*Executive Vice President*
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108
www.AppGeo.com

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise