[OSGeo-Conf] Question Period: Bonn proposal

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Feb 27 12:39:24 PST 2015

Hi Till and Bonn,

If FOSS4G 2016 is a joint conference with EARSeL how will
admission/registration work?  EARSeL seems to be slightly less
expensive.  It would of course be most convenient to allow access to
registrants of either conference full access to both but that requires
working out an expense and income sharing plan.  Not allowing access
then makes them not really joint conferences but co-located
conferences (which is convenient for travel but doesn't offer all the
benefits of a joint conference).

Is EARSeL able to (and willing or comfortable) dealing with FOSS4G and
OSGeo which some people or organizations might consider excessively
relaxed or casual?  OSGeo's do-ocratic
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Do-ocracy) process is not always easily
understood and can appear as dysfunction when there is no champion who
volunteers for some seemingly important task.

I think a joint conference with EARSeL is a great opportunity.  The
much smaller joint conferences with which I'm knowledgeable seem to be
rather problematic in the minor details.

Best regards, Eli