[OSGeo-Conf] Code of Conduct

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Wed Jan 14 09:29:13 PST 2015

Darrell,

let me answer you question from a personal perspective. I have been going
to conferences, workshops, symposia in many countries for over 30 years,
mostly earth-related sciences. I don't recall that any of those conferences
had CoC (Jachym and Peter pointed out very well why you can have a good
conference without CoC). So when I have seen the CoC for the first time, my
first reaction was a great concern that something bad has happened and that
these conferences had attracted some problematic constituency. I hope that
was not the case, but that was the impression I got.

So I am not arguing against having CoC - if the community feels vulnerable
and feels that the rules for what many of us consider normal, decent
behavior need to be put in writing and posted on-line, then sure,
organizers of conferences should include the CoC. But for me it was a
warning sign that there is some trouble with people who are going to these
conferences, which I haven't really seen at FOSS4G so far, but that is just
my own experience.

so just my 2c

Helena

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Darrell Fuhriman <darrell at garnix.org>
wrote:

> I have bunch of thoughts to add to the e-mails that came in overnight, and
> I’ll get to them later today, but in interim I have a simple question:
>
> What is the argument for why having a CoC is worse for the conference than
> not having one?
>
> Darrell

Helena Mitasova
Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208