[OSGeo-Conf] Comments on Dublin FOSS4G 2016 letter

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sun Jan 18 08:53:10 PST 2015

Thank you for your Letter of Interest for Dublin, Ireland.  Here are
some comments from me, to consider if you proceed to the next stage:

- It would be good to highlight Local Committee members that are in the
private industry (i.e. they own businesses focusing on Open Source
geospatial in the Ireland community)

- It is always great to see a local committee that is based on members
of an OSGeo Local Chapter for the host country/city.  What is the status
of an OSGeo Local Chapter for Ireland?  This is not required but it is a
wonderful way to grow the local community.  I do see OpenStreetMap
Ireland, but I do not see anything about an OSGeo chapter[1]; you could
begin to create one through the wiki[2].

- Possibly highlight the use of Open Source geospatial in Ireland in
your bid (I am thinking of the Seoul 2015 team and how they explained a
recent mandate by the Korean government to use Open Source solutions)

I hope these brief comments help you with your bid.

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/content/chapters/index.html
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Local_Chapters

-jeff

--