[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G selection process (interface with Board)

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Jul 14 16:09:09 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I tried addressing this previously but it didn't go anywhere [0].

The conference committee recommends a LOC bid based on many criteria
to the OSGeo Board. Financial risk or success is not the primary
focus.

The OSGeo Board has to approve (or not) our recommendation, but their
primary focus is financial risk and success.

Right now the FOSS4G selection process could put the OSGeo Board in an
untenable position. Imagine this scenario: Bid A is an okay bid all
around and looks great financially.  Bid B is a great bid all around
except looks risky financially.  The conference committee recommends
bid B to the Board.  Now the Board is put in a very bad position where
they have to either start overturning the conference committee (and
delaying the process) or accept our recommendation which was made on
different criteria.

Now, let's look at another potential method that keeps the Board out
of that position.  Just like the previous scenario, Bid A is an okay
bid all around and looks great financially.  Bid B is a great bid all
around except looks risky financially.  Before the conference
committee makes a recommendation, the Board votes a "financial
preference" or "financial exclusion" like, "The Board has a financial
preference for Bid A" or more forcefully, "The Board financially
excludes Bid B" (most years this will be "The Board has no financial
preference since all these bids appear financially viable").  Then the
conference committee continues with making a recommendation.

Right now the way our process works seems rigged to prevent the Board
from really exercising their financial oversight.

Do you like this proposed process?  Should we use it this year?

Cheers, Eli

[0] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2014-February/002457.html