[OSGeo-Conf] [OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct in Real Case

신상희 shshin at gaia3d.com
Wed Jun 24 08:14:55 PDT 2015

Dear Charles,

I understand your real intention now. Just like you mentioned, it's not the
issue of CoC. That's me who links this with CoC. And I myself brought this
to the public discussion since I felt I could be wrong and this might be
the matter of CoC. We should have discussed this earlier in private first.

Thanks for your care.

Sanghee

2015. 6. 24. 오후 2:54에 "Charles Schweik" <cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu>님이 작성:

> (I've been trying not to post again, but since in a way I started this
(not meant to go so publicly!), here's my last post):

> This isn't a COC issue.
>
> This is a discussion about FOSS4G recruitment and messaging issue,
representing all of us globally who feel part of the FOSS4G community and
want to see it thrive and grow. The posts by Milo and Margherita captured
the confusion I had over messaging better than I did.

> Agreed, I'm male. Please forgive me for trying to be sensitive to half
the world's population and one that our discipline has trouble recruiting,
and not understanding what the message was in the Dali sequence and the
models sequence.

> Sanghee - I regret not contacting you about this directly and meant no
disrespect. Jeff- sorry for the heartburn.

massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch> wrote:

>> Just my 0.0002 cents,
>>
>> I feel things are getting over complicated.
>>
>> We have a CoC, and I think all the Charther member should confirm they
agree (actually a pre-requisite to become a charter member).
>> Then if a serious case is detected the Member can be eventually banned
from the community.

>> Otherwise we could pretend to do a have an official censorship system
checking all contents and decides what is fine or not... :-D

>> My point of view is that unless explicitly offensive and against law it
is responsability and credibility of each person to act according correct
moral society rules.

>> Maxi

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> One thing I could say about the controversial #6 slide is that that is
exactly what Salvador Dali try to point out. I didn’t crop out the image
intentionally for ‘commercial.’ Image in #6 can be found in internet as
well as art history book.

>>> If you visited Dali Museum in Figueres, Spain and stood just in front
of that painting, Dali’s ‘Lincoln in Dalivision’ just look like that, a
nude female. However if you move back to 10~20 meters away from that, now
you can realise the real meaning of that painting, that’s the portrait of
Abraham Lincoln - the president of USA.

>>> I just used that image to stress the importance of long distance from
the object or sometimes from the too experienced ordinary culture.

>>> I feel like this discussion is just like Dali’s painting.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Sanghee
>>> ---
>>> Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
>>> "Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
>>> http://2015.foss4g.org
>>> Twitter: @foss4g
>>> Facebook: FOSS4G2015
>>> email: foss4gchair at osgeo.org

reaction when clicking the links from your post was, no problem, this is
well accepted from my european perspective and I do not directly see any
offense in them nor see any offense in other cultures. However, after
looking at them in context (in the slideshare presentation) this is my
opinion.

want to say with them? In my opinion they can be removed without
downgrading the presentation.

of female models will bring a better message with another picture.
Currently I interpret this slide as: "Come to Korea for the beautiful
women" and I believe that is not the message you want to send under the
header "Culture".

alcoholic drinks, in one slide, it even looks like a "drinking game". There
are a lot of cultures that are offended by that too. Simply removing them,
again, would not make your presentation worse, it would make it stronger.

should also do something about the alcoholic drinks given this presentation
holds a prominent position on the main page for the foss4g event. This
would make your presentation stronger, because apart from this minor thing,
it is an interesting slideshow that has me interested in going to Seoul!

why you should come to FOSS4G 2015 Seoul”[1], which is at the main page of
FOSS4G Seoul, as being possibly offensive to women. Specifically to say,
slide #6 (nude female in painting) and slide #20 (row of female models) are
those controversial ones.

presentation breach the OSGeo CoC and I don’t agree with that view.

slides from my presentation and OSGeo now have CoC, I think we’d better
discuss this issue more openly to reach conclusions.

from all around the world. Also I expect Conference Committee’s input as
well, because this is the matter of OSGeo conference.

people’s opinions on this. Also I believe it’ll be a great chance for OSGeo
to learn how to apply CoC in real cases.

Generation(SNSD)[3], which I believe as symbolic icon of wide spread of
Korean culture(K-Culture) in/around Asia.

>> --
>> Massimiliano Cannata
>>
>> Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>>
>> Responsabile settore Geomatica
>>

>> Istituto scienze della Terra
>>
>> Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>>
>> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana
>>
>> Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio
>>
>> Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14
>>
>> Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09
>>
>> massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
>>
>> www.supsi.ch/ist

> Charlie Schweik
>
> Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
> Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

2012) - see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545