[OSGeo-Conf] Comments on Boston 2017 proposal

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Nov 2 11:27:54 PST 2015

Dear Michael and BLOC team,

Thank you for your proposal for Boston, Mass.  Here are
some comments from me, that I hope will help you in this final stage and
beyond:

- thank you for including a Vision Statement for the local team.  It is
nice to read that the OSGeo foundation plays such an important part in
that vision.

- I think your inclusion of a promotional video really helps get a sense
of the community.  As you know, the FOSS4G 2016 team really hit a home
run with their own promotional video
(http://2016.foss4g.org/index.php/promotion-video.html)

- thanks for describing the full BLOC team, it seems like a wide
representation of the local community

- I like that you are already thinking of leaders for subcommittees.
One that is often forgotten, yet is very important, is a subcommittee
for managing Volunteers.  Roles such as room monitors, workshop monitors
are a great way to give local students a chance to network and
experience the event, but someone needs to manage this.  Please consider
this important role in your plans.

- You have strong letters of support, including several from the
community sector.

- I think your choice of going with a local PCO is very smart, as this
will give you a boots-on-the-ground edge that is needed for so many
months in advance of the event.

- You get strong bonus points from me for the section on working in
partnership with OSGeo.  This proposal gives me a sense that you value
the importance of the foundation.  I like your idea of an executive
committee, as well as OSGeo being a "presenting sponsor".

- Regarding the workshop locations, will you be providing transportation
to these offsite venues?  (such as transit passes)

- I like that you target some workshops for high school and
undergraduate students

- Your proposal mentions a welcome event on the Wednesday, but also
mentions the same event for the Tuesday.  In my opinion, having such a
gathering place on the Tuesday night is as important as the official
welcome party on Wednesday.  Maybe you could simply "recommend" Tuesday
arrivals meet at the Harpoon Brewery, and then have the official welcome
party there on Wednesday.  Often many LOCs mistakenly do not recommend a
meeting place for the early (and workshop) arrivals on that Tuesday.

-  Thank you for listing the possible themes for the presentations, for
technical and academic and social

- I like your idea of early-bird registrants getting a free gala pass

- regarding budget, have you also planned for some possible travel
grants, to allow some underfunded participants to attend?  I believe
FOSS4G Seoul had 10 recipients of these.

- thank you for specifying the possible sponsor packages and benefits.

- regarding conflicting events and timing, I think this discussion has
already been handled on the mailing list.  However I would have liked
the proposal to list the conflicting September events, for the reason to
move to August.  (like I said, you can ignore this comment from me, as
you have likely already answered that publicly)

Thanks again for your proposal.

-jeff