[OSGeo-Conf] Comments on Philadelphia 2017 proposal

David William Bitner bitner at dbspatial.com
Mon Nov 9 14:36:43 PST 2015

Same feelings here. Minneapolis hosted two MapServer User Meetings (one of
the direct progenitors to FOSS4G) in 2003 and 2005 and FOSS4G NA in 2013.
Many of the folks involved have also been directly involved in our
statewide GIS conference (~500-600 attendees) as well as bringing related
conferences such as NSGIC here in 2010 and NACIS 2015.

Personally, while I may have been exhausted in the immediate aftermath of
FOSS4G NA 2013 and wasn't immediately raising my hand to take the helm as a
conference chair, I have continued to stay engaged and active on various
conference committees and love doing so.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:

> A group of the 2013 LOC are now working on FOSS4G UK 2016 - a new event.
> Others have gone on to organise other events within the UK geo community.
> No sign of burn out there.
>
> It is a privilege and enormous fun organising a FOSS4G, I recommend it to
> anyone considering volunteering for a LOC you won’t regret it even if you
> do need a rest from community for a few months after the event!
> ______
> Steven
>

> > On 9 Nov 2015, at 22:17, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 7:10 PM, Robert Cheetham <cheetham at azavea.com>
> wrote:
> >> * Many past FOSS4G events that relied on volunteers resulted in burned
> out
> >> volunteers - we didn't want to rely on a volunteer team to run the
> event.
> >
> > I'd like to address one, as it's a bit of a received truth, because it
> > has a kernel of truth in it.
> >
> > Organizing these events does seem to reliably burn out the chairs, and
> > a handful of the most involved committee members. On the flip side,
> > they also seem to activate previous marginally interested community
> > members to get more involved and grow the community more (one result
> > of FOSS4G 2007 was a spurt of other OSGeo activity, including a
> > semi-regular meet-up, which is waxed and waned over the years).
> >
> > So these things don't necessarily leave salted fields and blighted
> > landscapes in their wake, as the Ottawa bid hopefully reinforces.
> >
> > P.

David William Bitner
dbSpatial LLC
612-424-9932