[OSGeo-Conf] 2017 Conference dates question

Michael Terner mgt at appgeo.com
Wed Oct 21 08:55:55 PDT 2015

​Jeroen & Helena:
David and Ottawa lay out the basics, and our proposal also explains the
reasoning behind our date selection, but I would like to elaborate and
provide a few further details on the Boston LOC's (BLOC) reasoning:

   - For an event of this size it will be impossible to find a perfect date
   where everyone who wants to participate will be able to​.
   - The need to "fix" a particular date and not have much flexibility is a
   function of how the OSGeo RFP is written. The LOCs are asked to provide a
   date, and more importantly a budget. As Dave explains, the time of year is
   a significant factor for both budget and availability. Thus, we needed to
   make a series of tradeoffs regarding availability, affordability,
   "tradition" and potential impact on attendance. For Boston, and apparently
   the other two bids, that calculus resulted in mid-late August, and indeed
   the August date for Bonn provides an important precedent.
   - In the Boston area, and for the typical Boston/New England academic
   calendar, August is far preferable to September. Our region's myriad
   academic institutions tend to startup in early September and there was
   unanimous agreement among our academic participants that August, before
   school starts was far preferable and ensured their participation. In
   addition, this opened up far more options for us to leverage our academic
   partners to obtain excellent and affordable venues for hosting our
   workshops.
   - October is the most expensive month to visit Boston due to the large
   number of USA and international visitors that come to see the fall foliage.
   It is also a competitive time to host conferences and there was very
   limited availability at high cost even ~2 years in advance.
   - Last, there is ample time between July and August to have a vacation *and
   *to plan to attend an important conference. It won't work for everyone,
   but as David points out (and our proposal highlights) there are
   opportunities to combine vacation and FOSS4G attendance, and August is
   arguably the best time of year to visit Boston and New England given the
   weather. Toward that end, it is worth noting that the largest geospatial
   conference - the Esri user conference which draws 15,000 people to San
   Diego - is typically held in July (i.e., it will be July 10-14, 2017).

We sadly understand that this date will not work for everyone, but as per
our proposal our goal is to make Boston FOSS4G the can't miss geo event of
2017 and give people every reason to use the next 20 months to find a way
to attend.

Sincerely, MT on behalf of the BLOC

*Michael Terner*
*Executive Vice President*
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108
www.AppGeo.com

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise