[OSGeo-Conf] 2017 Conference dates question

Robert Cheetham cheetham at azavea.com
Wed Oct 21 11:29:51 PDT 2015

Jeroan and Helena,

The August dates proposed for Philadelphia reflect a similar set of
concerns to those articulated by Michael and Dave.  I personally think late
September or early October would be much preferable, but the primary
concerns that drove our proposed dates were:

 * Late September and early October is a common time for other professional
conferences, so availability, even 2 years in advance is limited and costs
will rise significantly - there is a clear trade-off between budget
assumptions and dates
 * Late September overlaps with the Jewish holidays and would have an
impact on some potential attendees
 * Univ of Pennsylvania, Temple, and Drexel (the large downtown
Philadelphia universities) within the week or two after our proposed dates

Regards,

Robert