[OSGeo-Conf] Some hints for 2017-teams

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Fri Oct 30 11:18:58 PDT 2015

Hi FOSS4G-2017-bidders!

I am not part of the "official conference committee", but perhaps some
up-to-date hints we, the 2016-team, just thought of might be helpful to
you, also now in the question period. Read it or not ;-)

1.
(If not done already) Make kind of a risk analysis, that lists the
costs you have 6,3,2,1 month before the event - this shows clearly,
which costs you have in the very unlikely case, you have to cancel.
Comparing these costs with the number of already registered attendees
will help you to sleep better ;-)

2.
We've done a very, very conservative calculation and only calculated
40k sponsoring money. Of course, the more, the better, but doing that
will give you a more robust view on what attendees must bring in return.
Might be you should adapt your break even points or even have to rise
your fees.

3.
Also keep in mind, that offering special rates for students (and other
groups) might cause problems for your general calculation!

4.
Might be think of seperating exhibition and sponsorship - I've just
seen some empty big booths from Gold Sponsors in Seoul... manned booth
are much more attractive for all attendees and so in general for all
exhibitors ;-)

5.
@Philadelphia / @Ottawa: Arnulf just told me, that the 1500$ supporter
package was especially created "as is", means with conference pass and
is used by smaller companies - which are the ground deposit and so
important for spreading the word! That's the reason, why we didn't touch
it...

6.
@Philadelphia / @Ottawa: About Early Birdies - I just talked to
Sanghee, chair of the 2015 event. In Seoul 25% of all attendees
registered few days before online registration closed or did it on-site!
And that's why we thought about how we can attract Early Birders with
more than just a smaller price. I like the early plans from Boston
attracting Early Birdies especially!

7.
@Ottawa: We plan a two day codesprint before and a two day cs after the
conference (to be honest, we wanted to have 4 days before, but that did
not work because of room avalability issues). There was a very, very
positive feedback from various OSGeo-projects in doing so. So think of
extending the Code Sprint Saturday somehow
@Boston, I didn't see anything about Code Sprint in your proposal?

So far, Till