[OSGeo-Conf] Questions for FOSS4G 2017 bidders

Robert Cheetham cheetham at azavea.com
Fri Oct 30 11:57:28 PDT 2015

Apologies to the list.  I thought I'd hit Reply-All.  Regarding your
followup question:

> *Can you clarify one further question re 5) below. If attendance is less
> than 1000 how does the surplus (presumably less than $75k) get shared
> between OSGeo, you organising committee and the PCO?*

We recognize the importance of this payment to OSGeo, and also the
importance of a well run FOSS4G conference that makes attendees, speakers,
and sponsors happy. We are confident that the combination of our very
experienced team, an outstanding location, and deep well of passion for
making FOSS4G a success will enable us to meet or exceed expectations all
around.

At attendee levels less than 1,000, the payment to OSGeo would scale down,
while remaining as generous as we can make it. In the unlikely event that
there is no surplus, a payment will not be made. Under no circumstances,
however, will OSGeo be required to cover a loss, but no payment will be
made to OSGeo that causes the conference to run at a loss.  We believe this
represents a shared risk for the OC, the PCO and OSGeo.

At the lowest levels approaching break even, we will use our experienced
judgement about deciding between cuts to F&B and any other expenses we can
cut, and a slightly larger payment to OSGeo. This is largely hypothetical,
as we are confident FOSS4G 2017 in Philly will be a huge success.

We trust OSGeo’s support of the event, including widely socializing the
benefits of the program to the community at large, will help ensure the
number of attendees and sponsors will enable us to exceed our goal.

Regards,

Robert