[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2017 dates

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Apr 28 08:28:56 PDT 2016

Hi,

Just discovered today the dates of the event, as well as the beautiful logo.
I see this was discussed in
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2015-October/thread.html#3310
, and I also find the dates to be super early (I found Bonn to be already quite
early...) and collide with the summer vacation period for I guess most
Europeans. Not sure about the customs in other parts of the world. IMHO
there's a risk a significant portion of the European planned attendance might
not be able to join specifically because of the dates (*). I'm not sure how big
European attendance is usually for a N.A. event, but I found it was worth
mentionning it.

Best regards,

Even

(*) I was trying to find some statistics backing that. For France, I found in
this news article
http://www.lefigaro.fr/emploi/2012/11/15/09005-20121115ARTFIG00481-six-
semaines-de-conges-par-an-pour-les-salaries-francais.php
"En 2010, environ un salarié sur deux était en vacances pendant la semaine du
9 au 15 août" --> "In 2010, approximately 50% of employees were on vacation
during the week from August 9 to 15"

http://www.spatialys.com