[OSGeo-Conf] [OSGeo-Discuss] Conference Committee F2F meeting

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 14:44:24 PDT 2016

Retrospectively reading minutes of conference committee meeting and
adding comment.

Overall, it sounds like a positive meeting, but 2 points make me nervous:

/* European & North American years should share a percentage of surplus
from conference with OSGeo organization, but rest of the years should be
encouraged to reinvest money into local OSGeo activities and it would be
acceptable to break even./

/* For LOC's that are not chosen for FOSS4G, someone from the board
should reach out to them and suggest a smaller local event. This can be
funded by OSGeo at a loss./

One of the strengths of successful open source communities (actually
most volunteer communities) is their long term sustainability, which is
achieved by each small component within the community being self
sustaining in its own right. Extending this principle to finances of
conferences, I suggest that every conference should aim to be
financially sustainable. It need not aim for a huge profit, but should
aim to break even under conservative estimates (leading to a modest
profit under typical scenarios).

It is worth noting that small foss4g events can be run very cheaply,
using a basic formula of a "Meetup Event" getting free space at a local
pub, with participants buying their own beer/food.

On 26/08/2016 9:37 PM, Steven Feldman wrote:
> Thanks Guido
>
> That helps enormously, except that now I have a load of actions :(
>

> ______
> Steven
>

>> On 25 Aug 2016, at 18:18, Guido Stein <guido at guidostein.com
>> <mailto:guido at guidostein.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I have added my notes and action items from the meeting on the wiki.
>>
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee_F2F_2016
>>
>> Hope that this helps,
>>
>> Guido
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 1:58 PM Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com
>> <mailto:shfeldman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Reminder
>>
>>     Face to face meeting tomorrow at 16.00-17.00
>>
>>     Suggest we meet at the reception desk and the funds somewhere to
>>     sit (perhaps by the river?)
>>
>>      Agenda at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee_F2F_2016
>>
>>     Regards
>>     Steven