[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] Conference Committee Guidelines

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 12:27:41 PST 2016

Hi Angelos,

I'm sorry my email comes across as offensive. On re-reading what I said,
I can see that it sounds patronising. I'm sorry for my rudeness. I do
believe that process helps communities work more efficiently and it
helps with transparency. So the goal is admirable.

The process for putting guidelines in place for the conference committee
have been tainted by an ineffective attempt of the community to create
such a process.

To summarise, Steven volunteered to create such a process, based on a
mandate from a face-to-face meeting of some of the conference committee
members. He put the process forward, tweaked it based on feedback,
obtained a vote of approval from the majority of members. This is
everything you'd want from a volunteer. Two committee members (who also
happen to be on the board) applied veto votes to the proposed conference
committee process. Resolution stagnated and a significant amount of time
was wasted. This has resulted in no mandate. I'd argue that next steps
in obtaining a conference committee process is for the people who
provided veto to step up to the task creating an alternative process
which the majority of the conference committee prefer over the existing
proposal. Based our recent experience, this will be a lot of effort.
Alternatively, these people can withdraw their veto vote and accept the
currently proposed voting process.

Warm regards, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter