[OSGeo-Conf] Question: share attendee list ?

Michael Terner mgt at appgeo.com
Tue Dec 20 06:14:48 PST 2016

+ Boston LOC list

Till & Steven:
Thanks for taking our request seriously. We understand, and absolutely
respect the personal data and privacy issues associated with email and
registration lists. And we will accept and appreciate whatever you feel you
are able to do in this regard. We just wanted to update you and the list
with several things we're planning and doing already and that pertain to
this topic:

   1. We have secured a paid MailChimp account for FOSS4G 2017. We received
   access to the Bonn MailChimp account through the marketing team (Marc,
   Gert) and have successfully imported the several thousand email that were
   assembled through various opt-ins over the years.
   2. MailChimp has explicit rules about how to use their service, and they
   do *not* want to be known as a SPAM platform (they'd probably say a
   "keeping in touch platform"). These include providing a good, working
   unsubscribe on all correspondence and tracking the opt-outs. We will
   absolutely follow their rules.
   3. As of last night, we did our first outbound message to that list
   (with an unfortunate type-o in our attribution block that has now been
   corrected in our template [and that Venka alerted us to]). Among other
   things this is the first announcement that Richard Stallman is one of our
   keynotes; and this message includes the clear MailChimp unsubscribe.
   4. We have also assembled a supplementary list from a variety of sources
   - e.g., other conference and trade organization lists; Open Source project
   members; etc. - and we will be doing a single, outbound message to these
   people. Unlike the message in #3, this message to this list will
include *only
   *a request for an explicit "opt-in" (e.g., click here to join our list)
   and those people who opt-in will be added to the master MailChimp list.
   Those who do not opt-in, will not hear from us again.
   5. We strongly support Till's proposed approach of having the Bonn Team
   send a "farewell notice" that includes the opportunity to "opt in" to the
   Boston mailing list. That sounds like a perfect solution and we'd be
   pleased to provide you the opt-in link (which is already on our web-site
   <http://2017.foss4g.org>, and points to this location on the OSGeo
   or anything else you need from us.
   6. Steven's suggestions for our own registration page make good sense,
   i.e., let registrants "opt-in" to correspondence from future conferences
   during registration. We will work with our PCO to make sure their
   registration system can support that.

Ultimately, we believe that most of the people who attended Bonn are on the
"already opted in" master MailChimp list. One of our interests in the
registration list is just tracking things like people who have
attended/registered for both conferences in an effort to fully understand
the attendee base (i.e., it's not just for sending outbound email).

Thanks again for your support...

MT

--
*Michael Terner*
*Executive Vice President*

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise