[OSGeo-Conf] [FOSS4G 2016] / upcoming FOSS4G - do we want a travel grant budget / student award

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Sat Feb 6 13:06:18 PST 2016

Hi all,

I have a few thoughts on grant programs.

To Till, David, and Kristin, I think that an established, funded,
ongoing grant program at the OSGeo level is a great idea.  That could
provided consistency and continuity from year to year.  Maybe we can
get the Board to authorize and delegate that to a committee if there
are people willing to do the work.

To Till and the Bonn LOC, it could be some time before an established,
funded, ongoing grant program at the OSGeo level comes into existence.
Portland, Seoul, and others have decided to run grant programs at the
LOC level.  Ideally, this would not be needed since it would be done
at the OSGeo level, but until such time that that happens, it is up to
the LOCs.  I would suggest that the Bonn LOC decide if and how they
want to run a grant program and go from there.  I think that an OSGeo
level grant program getting established is more likely after several
years of success at the LOC level.  This also lets the LOCs try
different ideas.  Once the best ideas get figured out, then it is
easier to formalize it at the OSGeo level.

To Cameron, I think of the grants differently, more like Jeff's quote
about signing to the fan in the last row.  It is an opportunity to
welcome a young student in and fully include them as a first-class
full peer participate.  This makes an incredible impression on people
beginning their careers.  While a student may not provide that much
immediate "return", we don't know where they are going to work.  They
could go to work at the State Department, the UN, a major city, an NGO
that works with influential members of government departments in
developing countries, or found a startup, etc.

Most LOCs also run a volunteer program which is different than grants.
Volunteering is just a different way to pay registration.  You can pay
with money or you can pay with time and work (volunteering).  These
programs have different purposes.

I have a short story.  Once while involved with running a one day
symposium, we had a professor (who was also presenting) request free
registration for their entire class.  Our registration was already
very low (~$20).  We explained that the $20 just covered snacks,
beverages, and lunch.  The professor suggested that the students would
pack their own lunches and not cost us anything.  Sounded fine (and we
didn't have much of a negotiating position) so we agreed.  It seems
that the professor never told their students that their registration
had been waived on the premise of them packing lunches.  This resulted
in us treating all these students as second-class participants.  We
didn't really want to explain that their professor (and one of our
presenters) had thrown them under the bus so we apologized for the
misunderstanding and made it work the best we could.

This is one of the things that makes me want grants to not include
work requirements or anything else.  It is to fully included someone
early in their career as a peer and let them learn and remember that
positive experience that they carry through their career.

Merry Mapping, Eli