[OSGeo-Conf] Conference committee members

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 19:26:17 PST 2016

While I respect Steven's reasons for being selective about conference
committee membership, I think Maxi raises good points.

One of the key responsibilities of the conference committee is selection
of foss4g conference locations, and there is a lot at stake based upon
the decision. So we do need to be careful that the people on the
committee have the experience to make a good judgement call and we
should be careful not to create a situation where the conference
committee could be "stacked" to ensure a specific region gains advantage
over another.

However, we have an issue in that there is more work to be done within
the conference committee than there are volunteer hours.

As such, I think that we should consider options to address some of
Maxi's suggestions.

Maybe widen membership criteria to being a chair of a large regional
event, or an active committee member?
Maybe allow someone to be an active participant, but reserve FOSS4G
selection voting to past FOSS4G chairs?

Warm regards, Cameron

On 5/03/2016 4:36 am, massimiliano cannata wrote:

> Ok not tought to enter to the rotary club tough ;-)
> ... but let me say that this is not an inclusive approach to me.
>
> Btw you should consider to make rules transparent as this committee is
> a part of osgeo that has the goal to be transparent, inclusive and open.
>
> Best
> Maxi
>
> Il 04/Mar/2016 18:29, "Steven Feldman" <shfeldman at gmail.com
> <mailto:shfeldman at gmail.com>> ha scritto:
>
>     Maxi
>
>     Personally I would say that we need people with experience of
>     running larger events but I will leave it to the rest of the
>     committee to vote and decide
>     ______
>     Steven
>

>>     On 4 Mar 2016, at 17:23, massimiliano cannata
>>     <massimiliano.cannata at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:massimiliano.cannata at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Italian speaking language FOSS4G counts?

>>         <shfeldman at gmail.com <mailto:shfeldman at gmail.com>>:
>>
>>             My view remains that a prerequisite for joining CC should
>>             be that you have chaired a regional or global FOSS4G, as
>>             an exception perhaps a deputy chair.
>>
>>             Others may differ and then we would need to discuss and vote
>>             ______
>>             Steven
>>

>>>             On 4 Mar 2016, at 16:47, massimiliano cannata
>>>             <massimiliano.cannata at gmail.com
>>>             <mailto:massimiliano.cannata at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>             Dear All,
>>>             I would like to remind you that on the 21 December 2015
>>>             I asked what is the procedure to became a member of the
>>>             conference committee because I would have liked to take
>>>             part of the decisional processes and willing to help.
>>>
>>>             I'm still waiting for a clear answer, even if Steven
>>>             stated that there is no way to enter in the commitee
>>>             unless you have been invited from because you chair a
>>>             FOSS4G event.
>>>
>>>             Can you please clarify this?
>>>
>>>             Thanks,
>>>             maxi
>>>
>>>             --
>>>
>>>             Dr. Eng. Massimiliano Cannata
>>>             Responsabile Area Geomatica
>>>             Istituto Scienze della Terra
>>>             Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
>>>             Via Trevano, c.p. 72
>>>             CH-6952 Canobbio-Lugano
>>>             Tel: +41 (0)58 666 62 14
>>>             Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09
>>

>>         --
>>         *Massimiliano Cannata*
>>         Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>>         Responsabile settore Geomatica
>>
>>         Istituto scienze della Terra
>>         Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>>         Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana
>>         Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio
>>
>>         Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14
>>         Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09
>>         massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch

> [...]