[OSGeo-Conf] 2017 Boston agreement & seed funding - IMPORTANT

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Tue Mar 8 13:27:46 PST 2016

Other than the arbitration clause, which is common, but not required, those are pretty standard contract clauses in the US, and I have no problem with them.

Here's what I don't get: how can one reasonably guarantee that OSGeo's losses will be limited to 140k?

You can't. You can agree to pull the plug at a certain point if particular criteria are not met, in an attempt to limit losses. But let's say that somehow contracted liabilities came to $200k. That $60k has to come from somewhere and that *has* to be OSGeo. The LOC is not a legal entity, unless I'm mistaken, and has no assets.

But to ask for a specific cap with no criteria for deciding when to pull isn't going to accomplish anything.

Unless I'm really missing something.

d.