[OSGeo-Conf] [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G

stevenfeldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Mon May 30 07:23:48 PDT 2016

The "current" guidelines issued at
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/rfp/2017/osgeo-conference-2017-request-for-proposal.pdf
when we called for proposals for FOSS4G 2017 say:

Conference Description
The Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) aims for the 2017 conference
to be the geospatial conference of the year. The 2017 conference will be the
twelfth global OSGeo conference, and going along with the goal of the OSGeo
foundation, this conference will promote open source geospatial technologies
and data. From past conference attendance (see appendices), you can see that
the numbers have been growing quickly, and the hope is that the next
conference will continue this momentum. For the 2017 conference we would ask
that a host be able to handle up to 1000 attendees.

Within the selection criteria we said
• Cost for attendees. We hope to keep cost per participant under $650 USD
for the conference and workshops. We also desire some reasonably priced
accommodation and, ideally, reasonable travel costs for most attendees.
Note: please include all prices in USD in your proposal, and please specify
a currency date in your proposal (e.g. USD 2015-07-01).

I don't think the wording precludes submission of a lower priced proposal
but perhaps when we start the 2018 call we should be explicit in inviting
innovative alternative proposals re venues, catering and cost. It would be
interesting to have to decide between two radically different alternatives
if they were submitted.

The size of the event does have an impact on the cost and we have previously
wanted our annual global event to support 800, now up to 1,000. If we are
going to move away from that it would be a major decision for the board to
take and would need broad support from the community.

An observation on SotM. I have attended a couple of events, they aren't on
anything like the scale of FOSS4G. My recollection was 300-350 attendees
2010 and 2011. The recent call for cities at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_2017/Call_for_venues
suggests university venues capable of seating 300. That is comparable to a
regional FOSS4G not our global gathering of the clans

May the FOSS be with you

Steven