[OSGeo-Conf] Decision of Bangkok Team for proposal for FOSS4G 2018

nitin kumar tripathi nitingis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 17:13:00 PDT 2016

Decision of Bangkok Team for Proposal in 2nd Stage
Dear Members of the OSGeo Conference Committee,

We have received the outcome of voting for the first stage of candidates
for hosting FOSS4G 2018. We are happy that we are among the first two out
of three countries which proposed. Thanks Steven to ask us to submit
proposal for the second stage.

We were charged up to host a vibrant conference but the situation
has changed since the submission of letter of intent and we have decided to
withdraw from the race. The reasons are:

a) There is a sudden change in the situation in Thailand due to the sad
demise of our very popular longest serving King Rama IX in Mid October. The
whole nation is mourning and it is very difficult to get support letters
for government, industry and academia in Thailand.
b) Government has declared 1 year of mourning and this calls for
no festivity and low scale of any event.
c) We need some letters of support and sponsorship to include in
the proposal, which is unlikely as we can not approach any organisation
in the current situation.
d) Also, we feel that the Tanzania Team, which has 100,000 USD support from
the World Bank, has a rock solid foundation to organise.  I think due to
this fact they have also got overwhelming support of 10 members compared to
our 3. It makes us feel that we are way behind in race. So we wish them
best of luck.

I humbly appeal to the OSGeo Conference Committee not to disclose the
number of votes at *any* stage, for all future votes. The CRO should not
share the voting results with anyone, not anyone on the OSGeo Conference
Committee or shared in public, ever.  It discourages other teams to try
their best in the Stage 2 to put up a strong proposal - the goal is to grow
passion, not hinder passion. For example, in this vote, there was no need
to share the fact that such a vibrant community like Lima received only 1
vote (this hurts the flame trying to burn in the Peru local community, and
also the result can affect future votes as OSGeo Conference Committee
members could remember such a result next time). Also potential sponsors
may get some inkling and may back-out sensing the impending lack of support
in the local committee for the proposal.
The Bangkok Team conveys its' thanks to all those who have voted for its
letter of intent and promises that we will be back with a better proposal
for 2021.

With best wishes for FOSS4G 2018.

*Dr. Nitin Kumar Tripathi*
Professor and Director-Special Degree Program
School of Engineering and Technology
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Geoinformatics
Asian Institute of Technology
P.O. Box:4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand, Phone: +66-886021115
(Mobile), +66-2-524 6392 (Office)
e-mail: nitingis at gmail.com
My Blog: *nitinkt.wordpress.com <http://nitinkt.wordpress.com/>*
Research Pages: