[OSGeo-Conf] MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Wed Sep 14 20:22:59 PDT 2016

+1 from Helena

It is not quite clear to me who is supposed to step down when, but I assume
that this will become clear as the new rules are implemented (I don't
exactly remember for how long I have been on the conference committee but
it has been a long time.) Anyway, I agree with what has been proposed here.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:

> The period for comment has now closed. I have marginally changed the text
> to clarify a couple of items following comments from Eli, Till, Jachym and
> David.
>
> If you have not voted you have until 18.00 GMT on Sunday 18th September.
> As I have it recorded there are:
> +1 from Eli, Cameron, Jeroen and Steven
> Expressions of agreement but not a specific +1 from Till, David B, Jachym
> 0 or -1 from no one
>
> Adjusted motion:
>
> Goals
> =====
>
> The conference committee have the responsibility to run the selection
> process and voting for the global FOSS4G, to vote on other proposals
> submitted to the committee and to advise the board on other matters
> relating to FOSS4G events.
>
> Role of the Committee and the broader community on the Conference_Dev list
>
> 1) Everyday topics will be decided upon by an open vote of all list
> participants in a clearly designated separate mail thread (+1/-1) over a
> minimum of two business days with a minimum participation of 3 votes.
> Ideally we aim for consensus falling back on simple majority vote where
> necessary. The result will be clearly declared afterwards (or whatever is
> decided).
>
> 2) Election of conference committee is by secret vote and restricted to
> the remaining conference committee members and board members who are not
> members of the conference committee.
>
> 3) FOSS4G Selection - All Letters of Intent and subsequent proposals will
> be posted to the list for open comment by all list participants. The
> selection of the winning proposal is by secret vote of conference committee
> members only (for the avoidance of doubt the Board do not vote in the
> selection process but they do ratify the conference committee’s
> reccommendation).
>
> 4) Any committee member who has a potential conflict of interest is
> expected to withdraw from vote. A member of the committee who is part of
> a bidding team, intends to become part of the LOC or is employed by a
> company playing an active part in a bid should exclude themselves from
> voting in the selection process. In the event of a disagreement regarding a
> potential conflict of interest the committee chair has the authority to
> make a decision.
>
> Votes in 2 and 3 are to an online voting service or by email to an
> independent teller appointed by CC Chair
>
> Conference Committee membership policy and process
>
> 1) The conference committee aims to retain up to 11 active members,
> preferably an odd number
>
> 2) The committee aims for half of these members to be chairs (or vice
> chairs) of the most recent FOSS4G global events. The chair of the most
> recent FOSS4G event will automatically be invited to become a member
>
> 3) The remaining membership is open, ideally attracting people from
> earlier past chairs or active LOC members from past Global, Regional FOSS4G
> [...]

Helena Mitasova
Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208