[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G 2018 Draft Request for Proposals document for comment

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Sep 15 06:50:37 PDT 2016

Hi Steven,

Thanks a lot for leading this on behalf of OSGeo.

A small technical comment: since this is a document with an
international audience, may I suggest that all dates be in ISO-8601
format (YYYY-MM-DD)?

Maybe it's just me, but I find that the alternative formats such as
DD-MM-YYYY which you used or the MM-DD-YYYY used by other countries are
nearly impossible to decode without scanning the full document to find
at least one date with a day value larger than 12 to identify which
format was used by the author.

Daniel

On 2016-09-15 6:47 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:
> All
>
> After several early drafts and wise advice from Cameron and Eli, here is
> the final draft of the RfP document for FOSS4G 2018.
>
> A little background to the changes:
>
> 1) The old RfP ran out at 58 pages with some long appendices. I have
> reduced the document to 12 pages by pushing the appendix of past reports
> to a page on the wiki and by cross referencing as much stuff as possible
> to the wiki (which also ensures that it is more likely to remain current)
>
> 2) The document is designed to be as generic as possible. It should need
> little change for 2019 etc unless we change major policy or processes.
>
> 3) The document is structured with all key information and dates in 2
> tables at the beginning which are cross referenced throughout the doc
>
> 4) References to delegate prices and concessions have been left
> sufficiently open to allow/encourage bidders to suggest innovative models
>
> 5) There is specific reference to the availability of seed finance and
> the expectations of return to OSGeo if we provide funding.
>
> 6) In the past we had a complex voting system which required committee
> members to rank all proposals. We did not actually use that voting
> system and each member voted for one proposal. I have proposed a 1st and
> 2nd choice system (2nd choices are only used if there is a tie at the
> 1st vote stage)
>
> Please comment on the RfP by 18.00 GMT on Wednesday 21st, I need to
> integrate any changes before publishing the RfP on 23rd.
>
> Board members if you have any comments could you please post into this
> thread on Conference list rather than the board list.
>
> Potential FOSS4G bidders should be aware that this draft is subject to
> community comment and possible revision
>
> May the FOSS be with you
> ______
> Steven