[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] Amended MOTION (items 1-5): Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

Michael Terner mgt at appgeo.com
Fri Sep 30 05:05:25 PDT 2016

As an non-committee member who has a strong, vested interest in the outcome
of this discussion through our development/management/production of FOSS4G
2017, I have to observe that this thread has been a bit baffling. It
started strongly and now has become a bit circular and very time consuming.
Indeed, this has been one of the most visible and, from our point of view,
successful committees within FOSS4G. A committee - that has run a
successful selection process for years; and has overseen the production of
excellent events for over a decade; and a committee that has provided us
incredibly helpful startup support - does indeed seem a bit stuck in the
mud of process. While we have opinions on the details (i.e., quorum,
consensus/veto, number of members, retirement, etc.) it's not our place to
comment. But, I will say that from our vantage this committee *is *fueled
by the volunteers who - for whatever reason - are active at any moment in
time. For the last year, there has been no lack of opinion or guidance from
the committee and it appears to have worked. Even if the voices change,
there has been a nucleus of interest, action and opinion. It is also clear
that Steven is one of the volunteers who is putting in the time and sweat
equity at this moment and that he has a good sense of what it takes to put
on a FOSS4G conference. He has done what was asked at the F2F meeting in
Bonn (which we attended) and he has put a reasonable proposal on the table
for codifying how the committee is currently operating. Can't we give some
form of that proposal a chance? And if it doesn't work, there are always
amendments to be made.

Can't this round of discussion be brought to closure so that people can
re-focus on the 2018 process, and in time on continuing to support the 2017
event?

Good luck, and a happy new year to Steven...

MT

*Michael Terner*
*Executive Vice President*
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108
www.AppGeo.com
*Celebrating our 25th Anniversary *

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise