[OSGeo-Conf] Tone of communication

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 12:23:55 PST 2017

Venka,

I haven't read the support letter you reference (it appears to have been
removed from the current proposal, and I'm not interested to dig further).

In expressing your opinion (which I'll assume may be valid) I suggest
that it would be helpful to select words which are more in line with our
Code of Conduct [2]:

/Be empathetic, welcoming, friendly, and patient.//
//We work together to resolve conflict, assume good intentions, and do
our best to act in an empathetic fashion. We may all experience some
frustration from time to time, but we do not allow frustration to turn
into a personal attack. A community where people feel uncomfortable or
threatened is not a productive one. Note that we have a multi-cultural,
multi-lingual community and some of us are non-native speakers. We
should be respectful when dealing with other community members as well
as with people outside our community./

I'm concerned that Ivan is being made to feel unwelcome, and will be
wary of expressing an opinion in future. I'm concerned others watching
this email thread would also be wary of expressing an opinion in future
in case they are treated in a similar manner.

I feel that leaders in the OSGeo community should be aiming to make
people feel welcome. If others express opinions we disagree with then
maybe offer to mentor them to express their opinions in a more
appropriate manner. I know it is more work, but I think it is worth it
as it builds a healthier community in the long run.

Warm regards, Cameron

[2] http://www.osgeo.org/code_of_conduct

--
Cameron Shorter