[OSGeo-Conf] Seville Q's

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 07:12:32 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 8:08 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca>
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> - 35EUR seems low for a Gala dinner expense, have you trued this up
> with a quote?
> - What is the actual floorplan of the proposed venue? How does the
> plenary hall relate to the exhibition hall relate to the session
> rooms? Near, far, connected, disconnected?
> - The budget includes about EUR20K for workshop computers. What is the
> University providing and what are you renting yourself? Where do the
> spare computers go?

Answers, already on the wiki page:

   - *35EUR seems low for a Gala dinner expense, have you trued this up
   with a quote?*

The gala dinner we have planned is informal, allowing networking, gathering
around high tables, with and without seats, taking advantage of the power
of “tapas”-like menu to let all participants to live that gastronomic
experience in a magnificent location.

We know a few catering companies that would make an excellent dinner for
that price. We do have a couple of recent quotes in the same space and for
the same type of dinner with prices that would fit in. On the other hand,
we will negotiate with a catering company for all the services so we expect
to have a good deal to get the assignment, even at a lower price.

   - *What is the actual floorplan of the proposed venue? How does the
   plenary hall relate to the exhibition hall relate to the session rooms?
   Near, far, connected, disconnected?*

We have worked on the OpenStreetMap representation of Isla Mágica:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/22747446#map=17/37.40795/-5.99994

There is still many things to add there, but you can have a better idea of
how the venue is and where the rooms are going to be placed. On page 31 of
the dossier you can find the detailed map of all the spaces we plan to use.

The walking distance between rooms will never be longer than 600 meters in
the worst case. All the venue is almost flat (maybe 3 meters elevation
difference maximum), prepared for wheelchair access, even the bridges over
the water. So walking between different rooms should be easy and fast. We
also can provide to people who have some kind of disabilities to move using
different motorized ways like segway, golf car, electric wheelchair,
motorized bikes,...

There are also some floorplans and photos for each room if you want to see
how the room looks like right now, although some of the rooms will have a
different distribution of seats as we want to perform different activities
which requires different seat distributions.

The exhibition will be displayed along the ways between halls, close to the
lunch and coffee break meeting points.

   - *The budget includes about EUR20K for workshop computers. What is the
   University providing and what are you renting yourself? Where do the spare
   computers go?*

The University of Sevilla will provide all the computers for the workshops
with proper internet connection. Those computers are the same students use
on their classes, desktop machines linux friendly that can be started with
OSGeo Live.

We will have to take care of all the expenses that arise from our activity,
including: extra computers to complement room availability (as it is stated
in the template: “You will need a handful more computers than you have
seats, to deal with DOA equipment and on-site failures, so gross-up the
per-computer cost a little to account for spare machines”), extra
electricity cords supply, electrical technicians, technical assistance
personnel, security, cleaning, etc.

We are also planning to record these sessions, and this will cause expenses
that are also included in that budget item. Similarly cost for workshop
registrations. Also the cost of coffee machines and coffee supplies are
–mistakenly- included here. EUR20K it’s the overall cost of workshops that
probably we should have splitted in more budget labels and rows.