[OSGeo-Conf] A note regarding Executive Order on Immigration

Guido Stein gstein at appgeo.com
Mon Jan 30 14:19:17 PST 2017

Hey folks,

I posted this initially on the discuss list, but I wanted to share it here
as well to let you know that I think it's important to address the
Executive Order on Immigration that was released at the end of last week.
As I state in my message, I am not stating policy for OSGeo or FOSS4G as a
whole, but I felt I needed to say something.

original message posted on the discuss list here:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2017-January/017083.html

-----

Dear OSGeo Community,

 My name is Guido Stein and I am the co-chair of FOSS4G Boston 2017. I have
had the honor of working with the community on this conference as well as
meeting many folks in the community at the Bonn event. I have been building
spatial community in Boston for over a decade and am have really enjoyed
becoming a part of the larger OSGeo community in the last couple of years.

The Boston Local Organizing committee is made up of a diverse group of
folks who had from day one planned on making this event as inclusive as we
can make possible. We have been very excited about the potential
interaction between visiting attendees from all over the globe and our
thriving local community of academics, developers, managers, and end users.

 I am writing you all today as co-chair of the conference and as a member
of the community to address some recent events in the U.S.A.. My team and I
would like to let everyone know that we welcome anyone interested in
attending the FOSS4G Boston 2017 event. We welcome you with open arms and
will do whatever we can to help you get the most out of attending this
event.

 I know that there is concern and fear about the Exective Order on
Immigration and this weekend left many people in shock and awe. I would
like to open a dialogue here on the discussion list to let people share
with us any of your concerns and let us know what we might be able to do to
assist you and others in attending this conference. We do not have all the
answers, but we will attempt to address your concerns related to the
conference the best we can.

 Finally, we do not set policy for OSGeo, FOSS4G (other than our specific
event), or the U.S. Government, so please understand that we are a small
group of volunteers and are trying to help, but our realm of assistance is
limited to this year's FOSS4G and the resource we have access to.

With warm regards,

 Guido Stein
 Co-Chair FOSS4G Boston 2017

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise