[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo is the host of FOSS4G not a guest

Michael Terner mgt at appgeo.com
Sun Jul 2 11:45:38 PDT 2017

+ Conference Dev

Again, this is *entirely* the Board's call. But I just want to make sure
everyone is clear on what is being presented right now. Below is a screen
shot of our home screen, where it clearly states "Presented by: OSGeo"
including the logo. You need to scroll down to near the bottom of the page
(past our videos, our location map, our keynotes and other information) to
see the "sponsor recognition". Also, and with due respect to Bonn, we
believe (and worked jointly with OSGeo on the language), that "Presented
by" is the proper terminology. Indeed, the conferences are "*hosted by"* the
local organizing committees (LOC's). The "competition" is all about which
city gets to *host* the event; and it does need to be made clear that OSGeo
is the overarching organization that is "presenting" and supporting the
event.

We will do what is asked, but personally I'm a little confused about why
"both" isn't appropriate?

MT
[image: Inline image 1]

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <astrid_emde at osgeo.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I agree with Maxi.
>
> In 2016 we had the OSGeo logo on the FOSS4G webside with
>
> hosted by OSGeo
>
> See http://2016.foss4g.org/home.html
>
> That would be better.
>
> Astrid
>

> Am 2017-07-02 10:22, schrieb Massimiliano Cannata:
>
>> Dear community and board members,
>> Today I found out that OSGeo is a a SPONSOR of the FOSS4G-2017 Boston
>> conference.
>>
>> This is disappointing me !
>>
>> At least for two reasons:
>>
>> 1- foss4g is the OSGeo's conference, so OSGeo is the host not a guest
>> (have you ever seen AGU sponsoring it's annual event?)
>>
>> 2- OSGeo is already providing seed and risk exposure money so it
>> shouldn't need to pay for get exposure or being listed in the sponsor
>> page.
>>
>> So, as an OSGeo charter member, I formally ask the board to remove
>> OSGeo from the sponsor list !
>>
>> Regards
>> Maxi

> Astrid Emde
> Charter Member
> Open Source Geospatial Foundation
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

*Michael Terner*
*Executive Vice President*
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108
www.AppGeo.com

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise